Know India TN Govt Online Chennai District STPI Chennai South India Incredible India Eco India Indian Music Indian Election Commission Indian Civil Service

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Teacher...


"Teacher : The child's third parent." says Hyman Berston
I wish to share a good article written by a teacher.

Has teaching changed the way I think? Yes, most certainly. My students have shown me how to manage time. I marvel at how deftly they juggle sports, academics, dance, theatre and pottery, for instance. I have learnt how to accept failure as i see my students taking success and failure with equanimity. I admire the confidence of my students who can go up on stage and speak extempore. I see them contesting an election, lose it, and yet work with the winner for the common good.

I have observed students working in teams, giving suggestions, disagreeing politely, coming to a consensus even if it means giving up one's original idea. They go ahead, never claiming: "That was my idea". I see them sharing everything - their history notes and lab coats, their problems and joys, their ice creams and food, with such ease. It is wonderful the way they appreciate their classmates' talents. If you ask them "Who do you think should be given this task?" you can be sure they will pick the most suitable person. Their loyalty to friends disconcerts me at times. Will their selflessness last as they grow into adults?

Students are so good at solving problems creatively. The other day as I was walking out of the school gate, if saw something interesting. One girl, recently elected senior-most student leader, was motivating her fellow students with an amusing game - to amazing response. When I questioned her she told me it was an activity to energise them so that they could put in their best for the forthcoming Teacher's Day function. How innovative!

My students have often shown me how to keep cool during a crisis, with a "Don't worry Ma'am, it can be done!" I am often amazed at their openness, at their ability to think critically, accept reasoned answers. What has struck me most is their daring - to chart unknown territories, to be constantly redefining rules, unafraid to be original.

My students make me think constantly. Last week I told my class, "In these 10 years of teaching from this book, no one has asked me this question!" I have to be always ready for surprises. I know they are not testing me - though they do, sometimes. They ask such basic questions that it stumps me.

I have taken so many things for granted. Students remind me that my learning is not complete and never will be. Above all, my students have taught me to be young, to never grow old. I have to be up-to-date in everything, in order to keep up with them.

For the article click here

"To teach is to touch lives forever." - Anonymous

No comments: